The Export Market Development Grant (EMDG) is a national Australian Government grant that supports Australian businesses in their efforts to export their products, services or intellectual property (IP) to overseas markets.
Essentially, it encourages businesses to increase international marketing and promotional expenditure. Eligible businesses are reimbursed up to 50% of eligible export promotion expenses above $5,000, up to a maximum of $150,000 (subject to available funds), provided total eligible expenses incurred amount to at least $15,000.
In the past, the EMDG has operated as a reimbursement model based on eligible expenditure incurred once that financial year has concluded. The program will now be changing to a grant model where funds are paid in advance in milestone payments based on approved expenditure budgets.
Therefore, businesses will be able to submit two applications:
- From 1st July 2021 – An application to reimburse costs incurred during the 2020-21 financial year (first time applicants can also claim 2019-20 FY costs)
- From 16th August 2021 – An application via a grant style format to receive funds in advance for the 2021-22 financial year in milestone payments.
See the grant summary below for more information.Register Your Interest
Grant Amount: Min. $5,000. Max. $150,000 of eligible expenditure. Must have at least $15,000 of eligible expenses. Grant will be calculated as 50% of total eligible expenses, less $5,000.
Eligible Expenditure Timeframe: Expenses incurred in the 2020-21 financial year. If this is the first time submitting an application, expenses incurred in the 2019-20 financial year can also be included. The grant is moving from a reimbursement model to an upfront payment model. As of 16th August 2021, companies can apply to get the money to spend upfront for promoting their products and/or service overseas.
- Must have an ABN
- Be exporting or promoting at least one of the following to overseas buyers:
- Goods made in Australia
- Goods made outside Australia where Australia could derive a significant net benefit
- An Australian tourism service
- Intellectual property generated from work done in Australia
- A trademark owned, assigned or first used in Australia
- Know how from work mainly done in Australia
- An event held in Australia
- Must own the Intellectual Property (IP) or have the rights to sell the product/service
- Have incurred export marketing or promotional expenses for eligible products of $15,000 or more in the last financial year to residents of countries excluding New Zealand and North Korea
- Be able to provide evidence of the purpose and payment of the expenses claimed
- Have an assessable income of less than $50 million
- Overseas Representation
- Marketing Consultants
- Marketing Visits
- Free Samples
- Trade Fairs & Promotional Events
- Promotional Literature and Advertising
- Overseas Buyers
- Registration of Eligible Intellectual Property (IP)
- Insurance of Eligible Intellectual Property (IP)
Applications Open: 1st July 2021
Applications Close: 30th November 2021
Why Use a Grant Consultant in Australia?
- We do all the work for you, from start to finish.
- The net value of an EMDG claim is substantially higher when completed by an EMDG consultant, compared to self-prepared claims.
- We can complete your application in a fast and timely manner, meaning the money is in your bank sooner!
- We will maximise your claim by conducting a full review of your expenses and determining what is and isn’t eligible.
- We can get started right away! Click the link below to make a start.
We’ll review your eligibility and send you a proposal on how to proceed within 24 hours.